“When did you know you were lost?” he asked (so wise),
Since he’d been there and back, a long time yore
he’d gone too far astray, his sad demise
lay fossil-like: a starfish washed ashore.
His journey was circuitous, yet sure
of his intent, he forged beyond the seams,
To sear the fabric, cutting to the core
Deluded by the cloak of fleeting dreams.
His question hit her hard, or so it seemed,
She’d hidden far too well, her fatal flaws
well-masked, and cloaked by foolish, flighty schemes,
Now suddenly in view, beyond the gauze.
Their eyes locked hard, her answer soft, intoned:
“I didn’t! Help me find my long way home.”
- Your post must be dated June 29, 2013, or later.
- Submissions must be 750 words or fewer.
- Submissions must be fiction or poetry.
- You must use the following sentence as the FIRST line in your submission: “When did you know you were lost?” he asked.
- You must also include a reference to the media prompt.
- The speakeasy is for submissions written specifically for the grid. Please don’t submit an entry if you intend to showcase it to another blog link-up. Such posts are deleted without notice and you’ll find yourself wandering the desert looking for dessert.
- Please don’t post long explanations before your post. We want your writing to be the star of the show. If you need to clarify anything, feel free to do so at the end.